Avenue 25 - Advertising and Design

The Trouble With Facebook Marketing

As a leading Phoenix marketing firm, we spend quite a bit of time drilling into what is and isn’t working for hundreds of clients. In the past year or so our social media team has recognized fewer connections with the fans of the Facebook pages we manage for our clients. Not all of the fans we worked so hard to develop have been receiving the posts. These are people who have asked to receive our posts.

Alas, we were not losing our minds. Facebook recently admitted “...messages now reach, on average, just 15 percent of an account’s fans. In a wonderful coincidence, Facebook has rolled out a solution for this problem: Pay them for better access.” “As their advertising head, Gokul Rajaram, explained, if you want to speak to the other 80 to 85 percent of people who signed up to hear from you, ‘sponsoring posts is important’.” (NY Observer.)

So what does this mean? After spending time and money developing your fan base and social media strategy on Facebook’s system, you will now have to pay to play. Gotcha! This is their website by the way. They make the rules.

Online marketing moves like this are to be expected. That's why your online strategy must be built on a foundation of strong, independent, customer follow-up and engagement tools such as email marketing and new customer development tools like SEO and SEM. Your web site should be designed with lead generating features and built to function as the heart of your online interaction. Need help? Give us a call, we're happy to meet with you. We love this stuff!